Good morning every and happy Saturday. Also, happy Winter Solstice 2019! Today is officially the shortest day of the year, which means it’s time to cast on and work the shortest row of our #SidewaysSosticeKAL blankets!
My temp for today is 29º, which means that according to my color palette I’ll be working with Oxford Grey.
My Palette (Lion Brand Wool- Ease)
- Fisherman = 0º and below
- Grey Heather = 1 – 21º
- Oxford Grey = 22 – 32º
- Denim = 33 – 43º
- Blue Heather = 44 – 54º
- Dark Rose Heather = 55 – 65º
- Rose Heather = 66 – 76º
- Blush Heather = 77 – 87º
- Gold = 88 – 98º
- Cranberry = 99º and above
- Worsted weight yarn of your choice (I’m using Lion Brand Wool-Ease) in 10 colors. Match these 10 colors with the temperature ranges I displayed next to my colors above.
- Circular needles in the size to be comfortable with your yarn. I’m using US size 8 to get approx. 4.5 sts per inch.
- Pen and paper to jot down temps and dates for days you don’t have time to knit your row.
- Bookmark AccuWeather. You can look up past temps for anything you may have missed.
So for the first half of the blanket we’re going to be working increases. Let’s get started!
Grab the color yarn that corresponds to your high temp for the day.
Cast on 5 sts
Day 1 Increase Row (RS): k1, (kf&b, k1) twice – 2 sts increased (7 sts)
Day 1 Even Row (WS): knit
Inc Row: k1, kf&b, knit to last 2 sts, kf&b, k1 – 2 sts increased
Even Row: knit
Continue working one increase row and one even row through June 20, 2020 (this is the Summer Solstice and longest day of the year for 2020. Presuming you are in the northern hemisphere.)
Can’t Get Started Right Away?
If you’re just finding this KAL late, or time got away from you and you haven’t gathered materials yet, don’t worry! Grab a pen and paper and jot down the daily temps. When you have all your materials you can go back and work the corresponding color rows. We have a whole year and these first several rows are super short. You’ll be caught up in no time!
You will need 10 colors in worsted weight yarn. I’m using Wool-Ease® from Lion Brand, but you can choose whatever makes you happy! This is a fun little project, so don’t stress.
Don’t forget to use the hashtag and share your WIPs on Instagram so we can knit along with each other! I’m looking forward to seeing all the unique blankets as the year goes by!