Top

WIP Wednesday: 10/15/14

Cardi WIPSo. Many. WIPs!
I need to have a frog it or finish it session ASAP.
I decided to be Velma (from Scooby Doo) for Halloween and knit a pair of knee socks and a sweater. I immediately dyed the yarn and cast on for the socks. Then I thought, well, I should get the sweater going too so I can work on that at home and take the socks with me to knitting meet ups and on the Rhinebeck bus trip this Saturday. I almost cast on for it, but I stopped and looked at my project bag which currently holds:

  • a fingering weight hat
  • worsted weight cardigan
  • Bonnie’s Wish Shawl
  • November/Topaz shawl
  • Velma socks

Yeah…… I think I need to finish something before I let myself start another project. Since I’m going to be starting a sweater I figured the most logical choice was to finish the current sweater WIP, so I’ve been [almost] monogamously knitting that.

This sweater is currently nameless. It’s part of a sweater collection that will be debuting in early 2015. I needed to get a collection going that wasn’t shawls. I’m getting really shawled out.

I’m using my Andante worsted weight yarn for this project. I dyed 5 skeins in the Diamond colorway. They don’t all match. (Gotta love hand dyed yarn). I didn’t realize that 4 of the skeins have a bluer hue to them than the one I started with. As soon as I noticed I started working from multiple skeins to blend the colors together. The entire bottom is still obviously one color and the top gets bluer, but I think I faded them together pretty well. We’ll see how it looks when it’s actually on.

Since this design is really very simple, I figured I could knit on it while I was sick last week. Not such a good idea. I placed one of the buttonholes way too close to the edge and just noticed it last night. So I performed some surgery.

Sweater Surgery

 

Dropped down to the problem spot, put the stitches on a circular (so I could work RS rows only and didn’t have to move the piece), and started putting it back together. About halfway up I noticed I’d done 3 purl stitches in a row (instead of 2 for the 2×2 rib), so I dropped just that stitch back down and worked it back up as a knit so I could finish. Dropping within dropping.

IMG_5773

And then it was all better! There’s one stitch in the buttonhole that’s kinda shaky looking, but 1) it’ll be hidden by the button and 2) I can always stitch over it after to tighten it up if it’s really bothering me.

So that’s about it. I probably won’t get to do much knitting today. Need to finish up the large size pattern for the Pink Tourmaline shawl. I didn’t dare try and work on it while I was sick. It would have been full of mistakes!